Wednesday 6 October 2010

LETTER TO A CHARACTER

Dear Un-Named Character,

First of all, I must tell you that I love you. No, really, I do. I admit that when I first started writing about you, I found you an awkward and annoying pain in the - well, you know. But that's all in the past. As you have fallen in love with another one of my characters, so I have fallen in love with you.

I can honestly say, at this point in the story, that I find you one of the most complex and interesting characters I've ever written. I admire your strength, devotion and tenderness, your determination and even your gruffness. Without you, I know this book could never have been.

But the time has come, Un-Named Character, for you to leave me. There's no way around it. I know, because I've been trying to avoid it for weeks now, to the point that I've spent more time procrastinating and watching YouTube videos than I have writing. I've finally - sadly - had to admit to myself to this book can't go on unless you...don't.

I'm going to miss you. And I'm not the only one. The other characters will cry for you too, more than you'd ever have imagined. I hope that future readers will cry over your fate for years to come as well. You were loved, Un-Named Character. You will be loved.

Farewell.

Sincerely,
Z xx

9 comments:

Isabel said...

Aww, sniff sniff.
Sorry Zolah. And Un-named character too, of course. I am assuming we are speaking of FrostFire? Well, hopefully your other characters won't get too angry at you for killing off their best friend, and you will be able to finish the story in peace and *on time*. About three years till it comes out here in America, I'm guessing. *Sigh*. Oh well. I have faith it will be worth the wait. (I live by the rule that every fantasy story should have at least one meaningful death in it, and that books that make you cry are SPECIAL. I hope maybe someday I'll have that effect on readers.)
Isabel : )

Zoë Marriott said...

I think if they knew I was responsible, my characters would hunt me down and murder me for writing the scene I intend to write tomorrow. And I don't blame them! But you're right - when you're writing the kind of fantasy that has wars and fights and suffering, if you want to have the slightest scrap of realism sometimes people do need to die. And I hope other people will cry for this character because...I know I will.

*Sniff*

Isabel said...

Oh, never fear, I cry so often while reading, and often times for the most unimportant, ineffectual things. Some would consider this a quality they'd rather not have, but I love it when books make me really feel for the characters and care about their story. So I have no doubt in me that this book will make me cry. That is, when I can get my hands on it.
Now, back to my history homework . . .

Phoenixgirl said...

I'm welling up just reading your letter, and I don't even know for certain which character it is (although I have a guess)! Good luck with the scene...

Zoë Marriott said...

Oh, you might be surprised, Phoenix! There have been some *changes* to this story. But I really do mourn this character and if my letter made you feel that, hopefully my emotion will come through in the scene as well. Which is a good thing.

Alex Mullarky said...

Oh no :(

Zoë Marriott said...

Unfortunately, 'Oh Yes'. I can't get around it. *Sigh*

meghaz said...

You're so sad, you didn't even bother putting Le in front of Sigh.
Le Sigh.
I hope your character goes to heaven. Maybe that's the best place for him/her.

Zoë Marriott said...

This character definitely belongs in heaven - despite a rough exterior they really are too good for the harsh world of this story.

Anyway - all done now! And some more butt-kicking to write. Hopefully that'll cheer me up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...