Wednesday 19 January 2011

NOT THE WORLD BUILDING POST YOU WERE LOOKING FOR

Sorry guys! I know I'm a bad blogging author, but things got away from me and I didn't end up writing the world building post I promised.

Quick run-down: I was in the middle of a really fun and intense world building spree for book #5 (the Giant Killer Clockwork Praying Mantis Death Robot Book) and was going places I'd never gone before, setting up twin moons that cause super high and super low tides, plus doing all the normal stuff I enjoy like creating a complex multi-racial society. I was having such fun that I thought I'd take you on a little journey with me through the process.

But then Super Agent Nancy got back to me about Big Secret Project and asked me to write two more sample chapters for her, ASAP. This meant that I needed to drop the Giant Killer Clockwork Praying Mantis Death Robot Book (and its fantasy setting) and dive straight back into Big Secret Project (with its contemporary setting). I'm currently doing some very quick research with the help of some friends, since it's set in a city where I don't actually live, and trying to disconnect my brain from the third person historical fantasy voice and reconnect it to the first person contemporary one.

So all in all, I've been a tad busy and stressed since Tuesday, and I don't really dare to think about book #5 too much because I'm already having a hard enough time getting my head back into the Big Secret Project. I'll have a look at world building when a) I've completed the sample chapters or b) I feel like I'm stuck into them enough that I can spare the attention.

And now my stomach is rumbling. Apparently it's picky and doesn't recognise coffee as food. *Sigh*

Take care, everyone! And wish me luck...

7 comments:

Megha said...

Good luck, Zoe!

It's okay, since you're working on a piece of work we'll all be able to enjoy later, we forgive you!

Zoë Marriott said...

Thanks! I do feel guilty, but I'll make it up to you all later, promise.

Isabel said...

Good luck!!!! I'm sad about the post, but a bit more anxious on your part. I hope everything goes fine! You're not a bad blogging author, Zoe! This blog is amazing and special. Sometimes people are just too busy. We understand!

Zoë Marriott said...

Aw, thanks Isabel.

Emma said...

Ah that sounds really difficult, like putting a whole different head on. But the fact that your agent wants to hear more so soon sounds like a really good thing. If people weren't excited about The Big Secret Project then they wouldn't want to read more. I guess that doesn't reduce the stress though - but still cause for celebration, WHOOOOOP!

Shveta Thakrar said...

plus doing all the normal stuff I enjoy like creating a complex multi-racial society.

I can't wait to hear more about this. :) Yum!

Zoë Marriott said...

Emma: It is encouraging that she wants more material, so I'm trying not to freak out too much about it.

Shveta: Yeah, I really wanted to do something steampunky which had a bit more of an interesting culture than just the basic all-white Victorian English one. I think that's a weakness in an otherwise interesting genre.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...