Tuesday 6 March 2012

FOREIGN COVERS, AWARDS & AUDIOBOOKS (Oh my!)

Hello, Dear Readers! Welcome back and Happy Tuesday (first time typing that? Probably!) to you all! Today's blog comes with three pieces of Shadows on the Moon news which I hope you'll find as interesting as I do.

The first relates to the Google Alert that appeared in my inbox late on Sunday, telling me Shadows on the Moon had been mentioned on the Achuka website. Since that's a very well respected blog that covers many aspects of children's publishing, I hastened hither. And found this. Shadows on the Lancashire Book of the Year shortlist, surrounded by some absolute YA crackers!

Of course it was very nice to see it there. The problem was that I couldn't actually believe it. My publisher hadn't mentioned anything to me, and when I checked the Lancashire Book of the Year website they hadn't even put this year's shortlist up yet. There was no mention of the shortlist for 2012 anywhere else online. As it was a Sunday, I couldn't email anyone at my publisher about it, either. So I decided not to get too happy. These things have been mistakes before.

Then on Monday morning I got another Google Alert, this time with a link to this article. This was when I started to let myself get a bit excited, because there's a lot of detail here (Adele Geras? Eeee!). I sent off my email to Walker Books. And a few hours later it was confirmed - Shadows really is on the shortlist for the Lancashire Book of the Year 2012. Whoot! Shadows on the Moon is doing really well for itself here in the UK - that's the third award shortlist it's made, not counting the Sasakawa Prize, which it won prior to publication. I can only hope that the recent excellent Kirkus review and the Junior Library Guild Selection are hints that it will do as well in the U.S. when it comes out there in April.

And speaking of the US release (see what I did there?) the second piece of news I have comes from Candlewick Press, who have teamed up with Brilliance Audio to create the audiobook of Shadows on the Moon. This is the first time that any of my books will have been adapted to audiobook and frankly I can't wait to be able to listen to it. I have this idea that it will allow me to see the book in a completely new way, coming to it like a reader rather than a writer. Which means I was overjoyed to be told the name of the voice actress narrating the audio version: Amy Rubinate. I was sent a tiny sample of her reading, and then went out and looked for more myself. She has a very soft American accent, and her voice has a great deal of warmth and vulnerability, which I adore. Here, here and here are some samples if you want to check out her talent.

And now for the final piece of Shadows news! And this might be the most exciting bit of all. Aaaages ago I was told that Polish rights for Shadows on the Moon had been sold to Edgmont, and since this was my first foreign rights sale ever I was delighted. But I haven't heard anything since, so it was with great jublilation that I discovered (only this morning, Dear Readers!) that the Polish version is now available for pre-order (released on 18th of April) and got my first glimpse at the cover art. Here it is:


Isn't this gorgeous?! I love the shadows of Kanzi and bamboo leaves falling on the model's skin (very thematically significant!) and the darkness around her face. That lovely red circle, which I assume represents the moon as well as being a nod to the Japanese flag, is also a beautiful touch. I just wish that I could get a translation of all the words (both Polish and Japanese) on this cover! So intriguing. Here's a link to the page where I found it, which I pressed the translate function on - the translated synopsis is good for a laugh in my opinion. I really hope that's not what the Polish people are reading!

All in all, an excellent Tuesday for me :) I think I'll be answering some reader emails/comments on Thursday, so read you all then, my lovelies.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news Zolah!!
-Hobbit x

Essjay said...

Wow, congratulations! What brilliant news :-D

serendipity_viv said...

Oh well done honey. You deserve it. I hope you win!

Zoë Marriott said...

Thanks Hobbit, Sarah and Viv! I don't know if I've got much chance up against Annabel Pitcher and Malorie Blackman, but it's nice to be included!

Emma Pass said...

Congratulations, Zoe! Fantastic news about the shortlists and the audiobook, and the Polish cover is gorgeous. Really pleased for you!

Zoë Marriott said...

Emma: Thanks! It's funny, really - the book came out last year but lots of interesting stuff seems to be happening with it *this* year. All good things to those who wait...

Nattasha said...

Zoe thats amazing I'm so pleased for you, you really deserve it! The polish cover is stunning. Fingers crossed for the award for Shadows :)

Zoë Marriott said...

Nattasha: Thank you :)

Jenni said...

What a happy, joy-filled post! Congratulations!

Isabel said...

Congratulations on everything!! The cover is beautiful.

Zoë Marriott said...

Jenni & Isabel: I'm enjoying it - publishing is a bit like buses. Nothing for ages and ages, and then loads of good stuff arrives at once!

Liz said...

OMG! What a fantastically fabulous blogpost. I declare ALL blogpost should be this packed full of awesomenicity.

And massive congrats, my friend! I am proud and so happy for you!

Zoë Marriott said...

Liz: I KNOW, right?! Thanks, hun. *Hugs*

Rebecca Lindsay said...

Congrats on everything! :D
I've never listened to an audio book before, maybe this one will be the first one I try!
The new cover is gorgeous!!! I actually prefer it to the UK version. It just reminds me of "Memoirs of a Geisha," but the expression on the model's face reminds me of Suzume and her inner tormoil and sorrow. I love it!
I read the tranlated version of the synopsis and I had a few chuckles :D "A teenager. He." lol

AmieSalmon said...

Woweee. What an exciting post. Congrats on being shortlisted, what an amazing list. So pleased for you.

I can't wait to listen to the audiobook, sounds like Amy will bring a beautiful tone to a beautiful book.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! As for the cover, it's actually in Chinese, rather than Japanese, and it's a poem about--shock and awe--nature! I can recognize enough of the Kanji to get that far with it, but since I speak Japanese rather than Chinese, I can't help out more than that.

It's a lovely cover! Congratulations! :D

Zoë Marriott said...

Rebecca: My mum used to get audiobooks for me and my brother from the library when I was a kid and I used to love them, but I haven't listened to one for years. I'm looking forward to it as a bit of a novelty!

Amie: Thanks! Hopefully third time is the charm and the book might actually win something...

Lauren: Wow, nature? Really? What a shocker :) I don't read any Japanese or Chinese so I suppose I've got an excuse for not being able to tell them apart although I still feel a bit ashamed. But it's nice to know that it does mean something, rather than just being a shopping list or a takeaway menu!

Raimy from Readaraptor Hatchling said...

Amazing news Zoe! I really hope my stepsons school votes on the Lancs book award... I will make him vote on your book! (he doesnt read much so he wont have his own opinion on them!)

Also that cover is beautiful, like so many of your other books! :D

Zoë Marriott said...

Hi Raimy! I think you just need to have a library card in the Lancs area to vote, so I'll cross my fingers that your stepsons can get their vote!

I'm in love with this cover! I Google translated the Polish on it, and apparently it says (something like): 'Faraway magics, dark secrets and love stories beyond time'. Which doesn't suck!

Amy Rubinate said...

Hi Zoe - Thanks for including me in the pre-release excitement! I can't wait for it to come out so I can share it with my friends. It was an amazing experience to record; the director and I kept stopping and saying to each other, "This is SO good!" Looking forward to watching the rest of the world be captivated, as we were, by your story...

Zoë Marriott said...

Amy - wow, I'm so flattered! You must go through a lot of books and scripts in your career, so getting those words from you really means a lot. I'm looking forward to listening to the audiobook so much; I'll make sure to do a post on it when I finally get my hands on a copy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...