Thursday 15 March 2012

MY LATEST ADDICTION

Happy Thursday, Dear Readers! Today I'm going to introduce you to my latest addiction/guilty pleasure/procrastination device:

Pinterest.

Oh, so much pretty! So, so, so much pretty, Dear Readers!

Ahem.

So, yeah, after seeing that lots of authors were using the site to build up mood and inspiration pinboards for their books, I got overexcited by the pretty caved into temptation and begged on Twitter for someone who already had an account to send me an invite (which you need in order to sign up). A very, very kind gentleman writer did the honours, and soon I was setting up my very own visual inspiration boards.

Now, I've posted the odd picture here on the blog in the past to give you a flavour of what I might be working on, but I'm not sure you guys fully realise the extent of my magpie-like obsession with Teh Pretty. I haven't even uploaded a quarter of the pictures from my files onto Pinterest yet, but it's really satisfying to see the images that I've collected over years organised and together on screen like that. The only thing that makes me sad is that you can't, as far as I can see, pin sound files or videos - which are another enduring source of creative fuel - to the board. Maybe they'll change that in the future.

In the meantime, here are the links to the boards I've currently got running.

Katana Trilogy

Barefoot on the Wind

General Inspiration

And to make up for the fact that there's no music included, here:

17 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

Your boards are lovely!

Zoë Marriott said...

Thank you, Ducky :)

Nara said...

Wow. So pretty. Hoping that a Snow Queen type book might be on the list?

Are there any other author pages on there that you'd reccomend?

Emma Pass said...

Wow, your boards are fabulous, Zoe!

Zoë Marriott said...

Nara: There is, but perhaps not in the way you're thinking. I have an idea that involves Yuki-onna - snow women from Japanese myths. It's not a fairytale retelling of the HCA story. Sorry!

There's LOADS of authors on the sites - I can't find all the links right now, but here's Karen Mahoney (author of The Iron Witch and The Wood Queen): http://pinterest.com/kazmahoney/

Emma: Thank you! I'm having to try and ration my Pinterest time down to reasonable levels - that site wants to eat my soul :)

Amy said...

Oh my goodness what a wonderful idea! Your boards are lovely, I really like the Barefoot on the Wind one. I'd love to make boards for my stories too, but I know for a fact that I would get hopelessly obsessed with collecting pretty picutres.

Zoë Marriott said...

Amy: That has already proved to be a problem for me! I can't stop now (toopreeettymyprecious) but you should save yourself. Don't let it suck you in!

Phoenixgirl said...

Do you still have image collections for your already-published books? It would be neat to have boards for those, too, so we could see where their inspiration came from!

Zoë Marriott said...

Phoenix: Hmmm. I do for Shadows on the Moon and FrostFire. Maybe I'll upload those one afternoon! Great idea Phoenix :)

Rachel Balcombe said...

So beautiful! The music too - where can I find more like this? And that one Beauty and the Beast picture on the Barefoot on the Wind board.... I am so obsessed with that story. How do you /find/ pictures like these?

Zoë Marriott said...

Rachel: Well, the music can be found by messing around on YouTube, mostly. That's how I do it! And the pictures come from all over the place - everywhere I go I steal images. Like a crazed magpie. You're looking at years and months of collecting there. But I do find a lot of stuff just by google image-searching and combing patiently through pages and pages of dreck. Because I have no life. So now you know :)

Phoenixgirl said...

Thanks! : )

Raimy from Readaraptor Hatchling said...

wow! I want to join Pinterest now! Your boards are amazing!

Zoë Marriott said...

Raimy: Thanks. But be warned - the place is addictive!

AmieSalmon said...

Wow your boads are so beautiful. I really love the throne made of bones picture on the Barefoot on the Wind boad. Amazing.

I think I'm already addicted and I don't even have an invite.

Zoë Marriott said...

Thank you, Amie. I can always send you an invite (if you give me your email address) but I'm not sure you realise how addictive it really is until you're actually on there :)

Isabel said...

So beautiful! I can tell why those images inspired you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...