Thursday 4 July 2013

THE BIGGEST WHOOP IN THE WORLD

Welcome to Thursday, Dear Readers! It's a very special Thursday indeed: the 4th of July and the OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE FOR THE NIGHT ITSELF.



Holy cr*p, guys. I thought it was never going to get here.

I mean really, seriously, at times I doubted that I ever had the guts or talent or skills to pull off a trilogy, or even the first book of one. I doubted that my agent would want to try to take on and sell something so different and, let's face it, kind of weird. I doubted that any publisher would be interested in investing in a trilogy from a writer who had never written anything but standalones in a different genre. I doubted that I was going to be able to handle the unexpected and extensive re-writes required to turn The Night Itself from a funny, fast-paced urban fantasy thriller into something that still held all those elements but was deeper and more intense. I doubted everything and everyone, and at each turn the amazing publishing professionals in my life proved me wrong - and I proved me wrong too.

It feels so amazing to be that wrong, and to know that the proof will be turning up on shelves in shops and homes all over the country today.

The Night Itself is so special and personal to me, it's almost embarrassing to talk about. It (and the rest of the trilogy) is the most 'me' thing I've ever written. That's me in those pages. Me as a teenager, me now. All the stuff I think is cool and funny and amazing. It's my special-unicorn-rainbow-cupcake-angel-baby project and I love it, even while it scares the cr*p out of me. Seeing it go out there into the world is a little like being a kid on mother's day, when you pull your homemade card out from behind your back and offer it up to the most important person in the world. You're so full of fear and anticipation. All you want to say is: I made this for you. I want to share it with you. I hope you like it.

And I do I hope - God, I really, really hope - that you guys can kind a place in your hearts for this book. That you will get it, and love it even a little bit as much as I do. Because you are all such important people to me.

I felt like this called for a special, The Night Itself (The Name of the Blade: Book One) themed post, so decided to do a little linky round-up for you.

First, I did a post for Diversity in YA about the Five Things I Learned writing this book, and that should be up some time today. Check back if you don't see it the first time.

These other links are posts from this very blog, dating back to when I first had the idea for The Name of the Blade, aka, The Katana Trilogy, aka Big Secret Project, just because I thought it would be interesting to chart my progress from 'OMG, cool idea!' to 'It's a real live book %$"$@KH*"!GN!!!' What's amazing about this is that when I went into OneNote to look at my very first rough notes about this? I realised that the idea dates back to September 2010, which is way earlier than I thought. I've been dreaming about seeing The Night Itself on the shelves for nearly three years!

The very first post where I refer to Big Secret Project (and another book which... I don't even know guys. Do you remember this? This was the Giant Killer Clockwork Praying Mantis Death Robot book! I totally forgot about that!).

My post on the challenges of plotting a trilogy - where I ask for your help in deciding if the character of Jack should be a guy or a girl.

The first post where I gave you all hints - in pictorial form! - as to the nature of Big Secret Project. This was before Pinterest, and you can definitely tell...

A Letter To My Characters about 70% of the way through writing the book.

In which I get a visit from the Muses.

Big Secret Project's Publishing Deal Announcement (finally!).

The Making of The Night Itself's Cover.

AND NOW IT'S HERE.

Wow.

I think this is all I have to say. Apart from that I intend to spend today celebrating in the way I know will make me happiest: by ploughing on with book #3 of The Name of the Blade.

Read you later, darling duckies!

11 comments:

Isabel said...

CONGRATS ZOE!! I pre-ordered this last week and literally cannot wait to get it in my hands! Your books are always my most anticipated release of the year. It's so cool to have been able to see this one evolve from the very early, "Big Secret Project" phase to practically having it in my hands now. I wouldn't be the writer I am if it weren't for your amazing writing advice and unique and beautiful stories. Thank you for always being my number one inspiration!

Zoë Marriott said...

Isabel: Aaaaand now I'm crying all over my keyboard. My readers are the best readers (and writers, too). *HUGS FOREVER*

Nonny Blackthorne said...

Congratulations. I've read, I think, all of the previous books you've had out (at least in the US) and adored them. May I ask if US release is planned? (Unfortunately, I have rheumatoid arthritis and can no longer read physical books but must get everything in digital format, or I would just order a copy from overseas.)

Zoë Marriott said...

Nonny: Thank you! Actually TNI is due to come out in the U.S., hopefully with a digital version. But it's not until next year, probably in the fall. Sorry :(

Breezy said...

I've been so excited for this release! I've read all your other books, even sent an email once. -scariest thing I've ever done, I swear!- It's been amazing to read your posts from first to last of the "Big Secret Project" since it started, so I can't wait until the book arrives at my door! My hope is that it will be just as good, if not better than the others~ I'm so excited I think I'm going to explode! :D

Zoë Marriott said...

Breezy: Wow - thanks so much for stopping by! And please don't be scared for me. I'm honestly really normal; I hardly ever eat people or anything :) I'll cross my fingers that TNI lives up to your faith in me and becomes a new favourite.

Rebecca Lindsay said...

I'm really happy for you! :D
It has been great to see the book grow and take shape. I read the pre-release kindle edition and it was great!
You make all of us aspiring authors feel that is possible for us to achieve our dreams, and your writing advice is a blessing and a shoulder to lean on when we're going through any rough patches.
I can't wait for book 2 to come out!

Zoë Marriott said...

Rebecca: Thank you so much, hun. Slightly teary again now. My readers are the best readers...

whispering words said...

Aww Zoe congrats! I can't wait to read this book - you've been teasing us with it for so long! You Evil Author you! lol :)

Honestly Zoe I totally agree with Rebecca - you are such an inspiration to all us aspiring authors! Thank you for being you! You give your readers not only your books (which are amazing) but your time and advice as well! Thank you so much for it all! And have fun celebrating :)

Anonymous said...

I remember the clockwork praying mantis robots book! I saw that on your website back when I was still at school. Long ago..!

-Alex Mullarky in an anonymous guise...

Zoë Marriott said...

Whispering: Thank you, I will - and thank you for sticking around as a reader for such a long time. It means the world to me, and makes every second that I spent on the blog worthwhile. *Hugs*

Alex: Right?! Ah, I still have a strange fondness for that project, but I think it's missing something, or I wouldn't have put it to one side so many times. Maybe one day...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...